SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#217022 - 02/12/03 08:29 AM "sweet" voices
seanbaker Offline

Is Yamaha the only company that has voices that have sampled vibrato, or whatever it is that makes these voices so sweet? Korg mentions having something like this on the pa80. Are they good too?

#217023 - 02/12/03 08:41 AM Re: "sweet" voices
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
No Yamaha isnt the only one, the Pa60/80 has voices with natural vibrato, And those voices on the Korgs are just as good and probably even better than Yamaha's.
Ketron also has voices with sampled vibrato, Personally I think the woodwinds on the Ketrons are the best.
Yamaha just uses the terms "Sweet" "Cool" and "Live" for their best voices.

Greetz ,
Marcel

#217024 - 02/12/03 08:44 AM Re: "sweet" voices
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Some of the technics voices do also ... the 'Trumpet soloist' is great ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 02-12-2003).]

#217025 - 02/12/03 09:07 AM Re: "sweet" voices
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Wazza:
No Yamaha isnt the only one, the Pa60/80 has voices with natural vibrato, And those voices on the Korgs are just as good and probably even better than Yamaha's.

Greetz ,
Marcel

Marcel,
That cetainly is one opinon anyway.....having owned both, the second opinon is not even close to my ears, the sweet voices are by far better than anything that was on my PA at least.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#217026 - 02/12/03 11:53 AM Re: "sweet" voices
Wazza Offline

Well ok, I must admit, I've only heard the PA on some recordings and played the PSR2000 for a short while.
So I don't know if my opinion counts .
But I wasn't really impressed by the Sweet, Cool and Live voices, But when I compared it head to head with a Ketron, No contest.
Ketron beats the Sweet, Cool 'n Live voices big time.
I don't want to offence anyone, but I think the PSR's sound a bit synthetic, a bit like an ordinary 8 meg wavetable bank you find in a Soundblaster.
But here I must admit again, For $1250 you can get a keyboard with vocal harmonizer, tons of sounds and styles, great display, music finder etc.
I'm looking forward to the release of the PSR2100, With twice (or even more) as much waverom as its predecessor, and more and better styles it sounds like an intresting offer.

Greetz ,
Marcel

#217027 - 02/12/03 12:00 PM Re: "sweet" voices
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Marcel,

I think you are generalizing a bit too much in your assessment of these voices. There are many factors that go into the presentation of a voice and in particular amplification is a big component of that. Did you audition these sounds on the same STEREO setup, or did you listen to one in Stereo and the other in MONO. Also, the EQ of the board as well as the amplifier settings will greatly affect the presentation of the sounds.

One last point, some sounds on some boards will sound better or worse than others. Please be specific in your assessment rather than a general blanket statement.

Al G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#217028 - 02/12/03 12:04 PM Re: "sweet" voices
seanbaker Offline

....once again....why it would be a great idea to get a plug-in board for just al the great sweet, cool, live, natural voices so I can add it to a nice rig of MOTIF and KARMA stuff without having to purchase a TYROS or a 9000PRO just for those 30some sounds.....hmm.....dream on, james bond....

#217029 - 02/12/03 12:08 PM Re: "sweet" voices
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Just for the sake of information, the Roland VA7 too has sounds with sampled vibrato.

#217030 - 02/12/03 01:36 PM Re: "sweet" voices
Wazza Offline

When I listened to both the keyboards I used the internal speaker system.
I both played the same melody on both machines with the same voices.
I tried several voices, like the flute, trumpet, piano, saxes etc.
And I found that the Ketron's voices were more natural and realistic.
Later, I've listened to the PSR2000 thru some high quality headphones.
(I didn't have the chance to listen to the Ketron with the headphones)
It sounded a little better, but still not near as good as the Ketron XD9.
I also found the styles of the XD9 much better and more realistic.
When I was playing the PSR2000, it felt like I was playing a keyboard, When I played the Ketron, It felt more like a real band playing along.
I also tried the Tyros and played the same voices, the piano was much better, but the sweet voices sounded pretty much the same (they had the Yamaha TRS-MS01 connected to it).
When I asked the store owner what he thought about the Yamaha and Ketron he replied: "The difference between the PSR2000 and XD9 is the same as Black&White and Color".
Hope this helped.

Greetz ,
Marcel

#217031 - 02/12/03 05:19 PM Re: "sweet" voices
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I stated over a year ago when I setup a psr 2000 and 9000 side by side my Ketron X1 that the brass and woodwinds were hands down better than the Yamaha Sweet, Cool, and Live brass and woodwinds. I say this after playing in a Big Band for 30 years. Yamaha does better on some of the other stuff like guitars. If we could just put all the best features and sounds on one keyboard. Right Uncle Dave?

Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online